Wednesday, February 13, 2008

my two cents



okay okay...i wanted to be all dramatic and just post the image of the article...but you know i had to share my input. ESPECIALLY when they said what they said about tithing! LOL. instead of writing back all my blogger friends individually, i figured i'd just post another blog about it and let you read it at your leisure :)

first things first...this whole thing started back in july or something. working at a PR agency, we get a lot of emails from journalists looking for sources/input/help on various articles. my supervisor got an email from real simple looking to do financial profiles and forwarded it to me as a joke because we had just got done talking about how freakishly budgeted i was when it came to grocery shopping. it was a slow afternoon so i responded to the email, and a couple weeks later they said i was a finalist.

long story short, they chose ME to represent the "20-something" group (i think they just liked that quote about how i cry when i make major purchases, which i put in the original email). i kept a journal of ALL my spending for 30 days (you guys should try it, it's amazing to see where all your money goes). in december they sent a stylist and a beautiful french photographer who said i had a nice smile to my home for a four-hour photo shoot...(that's my apartment in the background, but you can't really see)...i lost track of how many rolls of film they used after 17. just for that ONE picture! a chat with the writer and a couple of fact checks later, and here i am. the magazine just went to subscribers last week, but i'm sure you can buy your copy on newsstands next week :)

the picture is okay i guess...i don't wear that much make up but whatever. as for the story...i cracked up about the tithing part. if there's anything i'm doing RIGHT with my finances, it's definitely paying my tithing first. (for those of you unaware, members of my church pay 10% of their income to the church. it's not really about financial support, though, it's more a matter of having the faith to pay up because God asks us to. and let me tell you, making that sacrifice has blessed my life WAY more than you'd think.) oh well...it will be great material for a sacrament meeting talk one day!

OH and another thing i'd like to clear up -- my rent is NOT $550. i WISH. they made me prorate all the costs i share with brandon, so 550 is my share based on my income. try doubling that and then adding some...that's my "bargain" rent for living in lovely los angeles.

other than that the story was fine. and just so you don't think i'm TOO frugal or anything (in the article i sound like such a tightwad) i DO know how to get wild and crazy. case in point...got my hair did and went uber shopping this weekend. let's just say payday can't come soon enough this week or lyndsey might be in a little trouble.

thanks for everyone getting so excited over this...you are great. xoxo

5 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

haha, I was wondering about the rent but wasn't going to say something. I was thinking, "hm...wow, LA really isn't that expensive...what is she complaining about?" haha. It doesn't look like you have too much make up on. You look great!

Brandon and Erica said...

Thanks for the background. I was starting to feel incomplete when you just shove the article in our blog-faces without any explanation.
Yeah, you are so cool.
So, another reason I'm glad you are my friend...because then I am cool by association.
You had a stylist come to your house? You totally rate.

Emily said...

I was wondering about the $550, but I figured that it was prorated with your husband!

Unknown said...

dude!!! I'm a subscriber to real simple and I saw the article. when I read that you "might have to reconsider tithing" I was like, nooooooo!!! as I was reading the blurb, Nate Holcomb was preaching on the Word Network, and I made up my mind to find you (yes, I WILL search for on Myspace; and I did!) and send a note of encouragement (and I did!)...and then I saw the link to your blog! well done sis! I praise the Lord Jesus for your giving God ALL the glory!! truly awesome! Malachi 3:6-12 says it all and I will be praying for your continued obedience, faithfulness, and fullness of joy in the Lord!

ok, sorry for the dissertation, but from one coast to another, I send you the real deal agape love!!!

= )

p.s. you looked great in the pic, but I love, love, LOVE the new do!!!

p.p.s. what a great red you've got on your walls...can't wait to get my own digs!!!

The Reynolds Family said...

1. I love that I now know someone famous!!!
2. You look HOT in the pic!
3. Your mom called me and told me about the article, I told her to give you a big hug for me!!!