Saturday, March 15, 2008

recent events

so lately i've been reading a bunch of articles that make me think...to the point of feeling total and utter disgust for the reality in which we live. let me share with you some of my recent thoughts, in hopes that you will not become disillusioned but can maybe share some hope with me.

the week started off by reading an article about how one in four teenage american girls has an STD. that just gives me SO much hope for the future of this nation. then there was the all-enlightening NY governor case...to help all of american grasp the professional duty of prostitutes, the today show interviewed a former "call girl"...i'm not going to lie, this article was about as sickeningly interesting as a fiery car wreck where you just can't look away. the woman in question tells about how she turned to prostitution and ended up meeting amazing men and going on great trips. never once in her explanation of how she chose that job does she mention any type of moral struggle in deciding what to do. it was more of a "i need money and this is a quick way to get it"...did her parents never teach her ANY morals at all?

but wait, it gets better. next up (you might wonder where i find all these...my work home page is msn and i like to stay up on the news :) was a story about how that TLC show "secret life of a soccer mom" or whatever (i haven't watched it, i just saw commercials during jon & kate) is creating all this outrage among stay at home moms. i guess on the show they let SAHMs try out the career they left behind and then sometimes they get the option to go back to work full time, and all these fellow SAHMs are fit to be tied saying how horrible it will be for their kids, how it will tear the families apart having mom go back to work, etc. if i had to pick a side i would honestly say i feel like moms have a better role to play in the home, but this article really did make me laugh. as soon as i read the title i thought the working moms would be showing outrage for the SAHMs, but it was just the opposite. maybe it's just cause i'm in CA but i would say 90% of the women execs in my company are moms who work at least 50+ hour weeks. brandon and i have pondered at length why these women even decided to have kids when obviously their work comes first.

on a similar tangent, in good housekeeping this month (yes i read good housekeeping, though i realize i'm still a good 10 years shy of inclusion in their normal readership demographic...that didn't stop me from loving GH when i was 7 and needed something fun to read at my grandma's house, and it won't stop me now) they interviewed a series of women who have recently lost weight. one lady said her turning point in motivation to get healthy was when her 1-year-old ate a french fry at mcdonalds because "that's what he saw his mom doing," and she decided she was setting a bad example. NOT TO MENTION the fact that she was taking a one year old to mcdonalds in the first place! seriously. and while we're on the topic, can't forget to mention how those stupid weight loss articles have given me a major complex (once again, maybe because i started reading them at age 7) because when those women list off their bad weight-gaining habits (snacking throughout the day, having more than one dessert, etc.) i start to freak out and think that because i do those things too i will somehow explode into a 200-pound woman who can't go up a flight of stairs without breathing heavily. even though i still weigh the same as i did when i graduated from high school. thanks for the inklings of eating disorders, GH!

basically...i am just so frustrated with the media for their desire to push the envelope, and with our society for never standing up for anything and just letting popular opinion sway what they think is right. sorry for the negativity...i guess in the long run these experiences are positive overall because they make me realize how glad i am for the peace and happiness in my life that has come because i've tried to stand up for my beliefs. i just feel bad for everyone else out there who is so confused.

5 comments:

Nat said...

the secret life of a soccer moms is totally on my tivo! i've also heard alot of moms griping about it...i guess it can be a little controversial, but i think it would be fun to explore your "lost" talents for a few days. i probably wouldn't take the job at the end, but i suppose everyone has different priorities...

Brandon and Erica said...

Whoa. The deep thoughts of Lyndsey Wells.
And...to think you're even in the "media" industry....PRing it up and stuff.
But, I agree with you about the media. It is so sad. I keep using it as a reason to not bring children into this wretched world. Seriously.
And, I watched to "call-girl" interview too. And the Larry King one. I know, I shouldn't do it...but you are soo right about it being like a car-wreck you just can't look away from.

Justin + kelly said...

AMEN SISTA!! One reason why we wouldn't mind moving to NZ is its about 10 years behind the states, where morality and materialism isnt as bad. Its still stuck in the "good ol' days".

Angela and Mike said...

The world is frustrating...I agree. There is so much pessimism out there! that's why I always like to watch general conference and hear the prophet speaks, because he gives such a different message. It's always a message of optimisim and encouragement and of progress. My mom had to stop watching the news entirely because it made her too depressed.

All I know is that if my little family is happy, than that is all that matters. I hate to think of bringing kids into this owrld when there are so many crazy things going on. I'll just want to put them in a little box and protect them!

HalieWahine said...

I LOVE Jon & Kate plus 8 - let's stick to that show I guess..

Check out Little People Big World -I just keep myself disillusioned to the "other" shows and media.. ugg I feel your discontent for it all.

good post