Thursday, March 20, 2008

the target effect

have i been blogging too much lately? i'll be the first to admit that i'm a pretty nerdy person, but it's getting scary when every time we do anything i think "this will be a great blog." and i mean anything. you're just lucky i'm not blogging about the fabulous french bread bbq chicken pizza i made tonight.

erica (the new blogger i announced earlier today) said she was determined to "have a life" even though she has a blog now, i guess because she assumes bloggers don't have lives. oh contrere, my friend...we blog BECAUSE we have lives, not because we don't. the best blogs are those that share the greatest events in life :)

now to the point of my post...apparently i get all my blog ideas from jennifer stock, because a while ago she wrote about how much money it costs her for every ten minutes or so spent at target. then she challenged readers to see what they spent when they went there. when i read it all i thought was, hey, i love target too! until tonight.

i had three things on my list for target tonight: cereal, a pot for our plant, and ziploc baggies. THREE. brandon hates going to target with me because i always end up in the clothes department, or the shoe department, or the kitchen department, etc. (actually our store is undergoing renovation currently...the entrance used to be right at the women's clothes which was VERY unfortunate for my budget, but now i enter near the stationary -- almost as dangerous but easier to avoid -- and have to walk around to get to the clothes). so tonight when i said "i have to get three things" he rolled his eyes. he is very smart.

we were in the store for approximately 20 min. and i came home with the following: two boxes of cereal (check! p.s. kashi is SO CHEAP at target, less than trader joe's!), a pot for our plant (check!), ziploc baggies (check!), family size wheat thins, packing tape, oreos (you know, because we just bought another bag five days ago and have already polished them off) and a two-pack of paper towels. all for a total of $28.92, meaning i average about $15 for every ten minutes i spend there.

also, just so you know i can hold back, at various points in our trip i picked up chinese lamps for our new balcony, yoplait yogurt, a dress, a purse and some easter candy but opted out of all of them. obviously with the move in t-minus 8 days (!!) we are trying to avoid stocking up on unnecessary items that we'll just have to pack and take to pasadena anyway. brandon said i could come back after we move, which is fortunate because i love love the pasadena target and that will give me an excuse to make my first trip.

and that is all. i hope all of you feel the love for target because it is truly the greatest. xoxo

7 comments:

Brandon and Erica said...

another blog shout-out? This is too good to be true! Thanks for dropping my name again (I guess the word "dropping" would be more of a term when you know someone really cool and popular. Both of which I am not...but still).

And, I am equally impressed that you fore-goed (not a word...but I'll run with it) the easter candy. Something of which I have not mastered.

And, in other news: I can't believe you remembered my middle name! Wow. I think this deserves a "Lyndsey Marie Payzant Wells rocks my world" post. Keep checking my blog. :-)

Michelle said...

My name is Michelle and I am a victim of the Target Effect.

Last Monday evening I jaunted over there JUST to pick up some cupcakes for Cade's birthday celebration at Preschool (I could lie and say his pre-school, like many others, permit parents to bring only store bought items because of the germ/peanut allergy factor. However, that is not the case and I admit I forwent (maybe that's not a word, either!) the opportunity to bake cute little cuppy cakes for his class and opted for the easy route...)
Anyway (i think this is the longest comment I've ever made...), I ended up with more than that. Lots more. A cute skirt, some groceries, some gifts...
But this is my reasoning...
If I am going to make a "quick" trip, why not make it a long one (especially if my kids aren't with me) and get EXTRA stuff--- It's essential to be prepared, be it for an emergency birthday gift, meals, etc. If I make it a long one then I won't need to come back for another week. So, that's my justification for coming out of the store with wayyyyy more than what was on my list...

Ashley said...

I also LOVE target, but I'm pretty sure I don't spend any money there because I live in the middle of nowhere and have to drive over an hour to get to the closest Target. Bummer ... or is it?

Emily said...

I also an another Target shopper and went yesterday, just to pick up some candy for a party I was going too and my perscription. I leave with three bathing suits, dress, two shirts, cereal, fruit snacks, was there for about 1 hour and 30 minutes and I managed to spend I think $173.00 dollars!

schnazdoodle said...

Target is awesome. Do not feel guilty. :) Some of my favorite past-times are just wandering around the aisles, haha.

Also - you are not sad for thinking about things that would make a good blog. Or, at least, I don't think you are -- as I do the same thing. :)

Angela and Mike said...

I came out of target after 30 mins...spent $42 on a purse, wallet, sunglasses and leggings. Oh yeah. Love target.

Tyson and Heather said...

haha..thats awesome. Someone asked me the other day what my greatest current weakness is and I SHOUTED 'TARGET!!!'. Honestly, that place owns me! Its like a stones throw from my porch too, that definitely doesn't help! 8 days..woo woo! Still on for AI next week? Could we do April 2nd instead of the 1st? We have the missionaries over on the 1st. Let me know!:)