Tuesday, January 1, 2008

adventures in skiing

our christmas was great. we drove to utah on dec. 22 to stay with brandon's parents in sandy; i only got a little sad that i wasn't with my family. we got big-time spoiled in the gifts area. except i really had no reason to be sad about the fam thing because MY fam was in provo, visiting my grandparents, and the day after christmas they came up and we went skiing together.

now i should stop here and say that i have never been skiing before in my life, nor have i had any interest. i'm not really into snow. but, like playing tennis and watching college football, there are many things i never knew i enjoyed until i married brandon so i was game to try it out.

brandon was great and made sure i was very bundled up...he even bought me awesome ski pants and high-tech gloves. but i was still a little apprehensive.


this is me before we started...still not so sure what i'm getting into.



my cute husband



rachel and grant gearing up

so we started out on the bunny slopes...i only fell when i tried to get off the ski lift the first time (seriously, who decided to put the hardest part of the trip right at the beginning??) i was a little nervous but i got the hang of it pretty quick. my dad and brandon were great teachers but i could tell i was slowing them down; after a while the boys decided to go try some harder slopes and left my mom and i to practice. please note i was still on the bunny slopes...not even the green beginner ones yet. and i was still going slow.

after a while my mom and i were feeling a little more confident and ready to try a beginner slope. so we trekked over to what we heard was the nearest green, but it was actually a blue/green. i knew we were in trouble when we rode the ski lift for 10 minutes straight -- it had 21 towers along the ski lift, and the one i had just come from had only 6. bad news.

so we get to the top and let's just say it was WAY more advanced than i could handle. i asked the lifty if i could ride the ski lift back down but of course he said no. so we started going down....very slowly...but it was way too steep and i was really scared and couldn't even force my legs to snowplow. some other skiiers came by and tried to help me but it was no use...basically i just sat down in the snow and cried. i was SO freaked out. looking back it's pretty funny, but at the time i was very unnerved.

but wait...it gets better. i started stepping down the hill...it would have taken me two hours to get down that way...and i asked if they could call ski patrol to help me down. so the guy comes and asked if i wanted to try going down on my own and i said NO and he said well i can take you down on a sled and i said YES. so he went and got the sled they use to transport injured/dead people and i hopped on and rode it down, snow flying in my face the whole time. HILARIOUS except i thought i was going to die. hahaha who rides a sled?? and then i was 1 1/2 hours late for lunch, where no one knew what had happened to me. i totally got the award for lamest skiier that day...which says a lot because my sister twisted her knee snowboarding and only rode for a couple hours.

so i survived. and then i spent the rest of the afternoon on my happy bunny slope, trying to get my confidence back up. by the end of the day i felt a lot better ... maybe next time i'll try a real green. or maybe not.

i'll be back soon to post more about our utah trip and holiday festivities. just wanted to share this lovely experience :)

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Congrats on surviving! Jon and I took a skiing class at BYU last winter semester. That was my first time and I seriously thought I was going to lose every limb on my body a few times! Glad you had a fun Christmas!

Elder Bryan Carpenter said...

Thanks for the great story Lyndsey. I've been wondering how you survived skiing after you told us you were going at breakfast. Glad we were able to get together before we left for Arizona -- where there was no skiing involved for me (making it a safe trip!). If it makes you feel better, I crash and burn cross country skiing!

Angela and Mike said...

haha, I love this story. Sorry you cried...but it did make for a good story. How did your mom do? I bet you had fun on that sled. I'll have to try it sometime.

Stephanie said...

That is hilarious! Wow...I can't believe that was your first time skiing being that you were at BYU.

Brandon and Erica said...

hahaha. Laughing out loud in my cubicle makes for some deep suspicion that I am NOT working. Oh well...I think I might send your funny post to all of my coworkers :-).
Lynds: That is HILARIOUS! Thank you for sharing your great ski adventure with the blog-world. I am sorry you had a bad experience. But I can promise you that you looked cooler in a sled than I did when my family wanted to ski down a DOUBLE black diamond so I just took my skiis off, draped them across my lap, and proceeded to slide down the hill on my god-given slide: my rear end.
Oh...you gotta love ski stories.
when you come out next time, we'll have to go :-).
Love you and the Payzants.

Jennifer said...

I lived by the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon my WHOLE life and only went snow skiing once. My sister & I fell getting off the lift. I got stuck in a bush. It was pointless for me to snowplow. I couldn't go on anything too steep because I couldn't stop.

I'm glad you had such a FUN experience (haha).