Monday, July 14, 2008

24 is the new 49

i've spent the past year thinking that 23 sounded so young. i was never proud to inform people of my age and every time it came out of my mouth i thought, "they must think i'm a baby."( i may have developed this stigma from having every single person at my work say "you're 23 and you're MARRIED?!?" whenever i meet someone new. apparently i'm still overcoming this chip on my shoulder.) maybe i feel young because in the corporate world everyone seems older, or maybe because i'm the only one in my ward without a baby, or maybe because i graduated from college young so now people older than me are actually lower in their careers than i am. what, it's not my fault i'm a go-getter :)

anyway, now that i've hit the big 2-4 i have started thinking that sounds so OLD! next year i'll be 25, which is a quarter of a century and halfway to 50. which is also sick. it freaks me out how fast life moves. this weekend we were driving through the old hood and i couldn't believe that we had lived there for a whole entire year and a half but that it's already over, that my life has just flashed by. crazy.

but to get to the main point of this post...i had a fantastic birthday. i've had some killer b-days in the past (sound of music singalong @ the hollywood bowl, WICKED, martina mcbride concert, etc.) and i knew this one would be low key, but i had such a great time just relaxing with my cute husband. we slept in, had delicious cereal (hello, what else would i be eating on my favorite day?), ran some errands and then headed to malibu.

we had lunch at dukes, overlooking the rocks and the ocean and the surfers. they even gave me a piece of birthday hula pie that i swear was as big as my head. then we headed up to zuma and just laid on the beach...we read, took naps, went for a walk, people watched. i totally needed that. and then when the sun went down we stopped at my very favorite westside eatery of tito's for dinner (i have been craving their tacos for months on end...it was sooo worth the wait. MMM.). add to that all the wonderful texts, facebook messages, phone calls and cards i got and it was a perfect day. thanks to everyone who remembered me!



beautiful.


yeah...i was excited about this.







10 comments:

Karly said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I'm glad you had a great and relaxing birthday. You deserve it. :) And I agree that 24 seemed so old to me. But I wanted to be older so I enjoyed 24! 25 is what was hard, and then I liked 26. I know weird, it keeps switching. But I do know that I'm dreading 27. :)

dietcokegrrl said...

ahhh...to be 24 again. I remember when I thought 25 was really old too. Hmmm, talk to me when you're over 30!!! heehee

Happy belated birthday!! Sounds like it was very relaxing and just what you needed!

Angela and Mike said...

How fun! Mmm...all the food sounds good. My favorite line is "sorry I'm a go getter!" Basically, you are apologizing for being so stinkin amazing. haha. Happy birthday!

The Mid Life Guru said...

Are you saying that your dad is "sick" (the bad sick or the good sick?) because he is turning 50 in only 3 months?

Brandon and Erica said...

Cute and fun! And, I have to say...I am NOT surprised about the fact that your b-day was low-key, when the rest of your birthday month-celebrations, were lowkey as well (i.e. watching Jon & Kate :-).

So glad you had a great birthday!!!

The Facks of Life said...

Happy birthday to you. Sounded like a good one. I'm with you on the age thing. I'm almost 28 and on my third child. Everyone thinks I'm insane...frankly, so do I. But I really don't feel that young because of it. I keep saying I'm a 28 year old with the life of a 45 year old. What ever happened to staying young as long as you can? Oh and yum for sprinkles...I could eat them every day.

Justin + kelly said...

CRAPP!!! I always miss it!! Happy birthday!! I love you and hope we can see you guys while we are down there. we get in on thurs night.

dana said...

As you can tell...I'm SUPER behind on my blog reading. And um, 24? Old???
Okay then, I'm ancient :)
But I know what you mean. You're now in your mid-20s, no longer your "early" 20s.
I seriously want a piece of that Hula Pie. Casey and I must go there soon.
Glad you had a fun birthday!

Rebecs said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYNDSEY!! Sounds like a fabulous day and those cupcakes look scrumptious! And although some people make you feel like you are too young, enjoy it because before you know it you are 28 and just getting older!

Emily said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I remember thinking the same thing about 24 and now I will be 26 in October! It is so odd how time does fly!