Tuesday, July 22, 2008

jury duty take 2



today i had to go back to jury duty. i say "had" because i'd already postponed enough times to hit my legal limit (including this trip that you may remember). fortunately today was a lovely experience. i learned that jury duty is basically an excuse to sit and read, watch tv and take two-hour lunches (and, in my case, still get paid).

no celeb sightings today...i did get to watch a whole bunch of crap tv and get thoroughly depressed by the news, including a disgusting story about the new rage in pedicures -- it involves flesh-eating fish and i almost threw up.

no one had been called in all day and we were so excited because maybe we'd get to go home without doing anything. then at 2:30 they called in the first group, which included me. by the time they lined us up and brought us into the courtroom (my first real courtroom, unless you count the one in the j. reuben clark law building where i had church my freshman year. i always thought it was weird they blessed the sacrament at the witness bench) it was past 3 p.m., so after the judge spoke to us and we got sworn in they set us free for the afternoon. nice way to spend the day.

however, being the reliable worker that i am, i decided to stop by the office to check in and catch up on the 200+ emails that piled up during my 3 1/2 day weekend. tomorrow i have to report back at court at 1:30 p.m. for jury selection...if i get picked i'll be on a seven day misdemeanor trial. which maybe wouldn't be so bad. if nothing else, this little extension to my vay-cay has been a lot of fun.

all in all i found the whole thing pretty interesting...part of me almost wants to get put on a trial, which i may end up regretting around day 3 of the trial. it was cool to see how it all works though...talk about my american heritage class in action. also these types of activities are always great for people watching...so many crazies around here, i tell ya. my favorite guy was a black man who showed up in miller lite pj pants. more updates on my civic duties will be coming soon...

3 comments:

dana said...

haha. seriously American Heritage. I'm glad you're enjoying the experience. I hope to do it someday too!
Can't wait to hear more (within the realm of what you're allowed to disclose of course).

Angela and Mike said...

My sacrament was in front of a periodic table of elements. haha.Good luck getting picked...sounds better than work to me!

'Hel said...

I TOTALLY watched the same story about pedicures (on CNN right?)!!! that is SO funny- you would get sick by that =)