Thursday, July 3, 2008

summer vacation

turns out when you're an "adult," summer really loses its awesomeness. especially if you happen to be saving up all your vacation days for, say, a three week european vacation extravaganza. thus, my beloved summer -- formerly a time of lake powell trips, daily regis & kelly viewings, leisurely afternoons and sneaking into neighbor's swimming pools -- has become just another season where i'm trapped inside corporate america 8 - 10 hours a day. boo.

however today was a great day. we got out at 1:30 p.m. and i'm FREE until monday morning. three and a half whole glorious days, mine all mine -- welcome to my summer vacation.

we kicked off the weekend with celebratory cupcakes from dots. we really like this place but not because it is particularly good, more just because it's right down the street from my house and also -- let's be serious here -- i'll eat just about anything with sugar and butter.







here's a wild confession for you -- as much as i love cupcakes now and have fully joined the trendy food posse, i will admit i used to hate them. in elementary school i refused to eat them, maybe because they were fed almost weekly to us for birthdays and other events and they were usually waxy and gross. and also my grammie ran a wildly successful cake decorating business out of her north hollywood home for 30 years (she made wedding cakes for celebs, regular cakes for the studios, random cakes for everything else) and i grew up eating bowls of her frosting, so when it came to other frosting suppliers i was anti. good thing i grew out of that because i love love love cupcakes.

but i digress. in closing i should also add that we do not usually have special random desserts in the middle of the day, holiday celebration or not. but today is day three of BIRTHDAY FUN MONTH. both brandon and i have birthdays in july. in my family birthdays tend to last a week, so with two b-days in one month i decided to just throw in the towel and celebrate the whole dang month. we try to do something fun and exciting every day. so far this week we have played mario kart on the wii, watched jon & kate and now had cupcakes. like i said, we TRY to do something fun :) hopefully the coming days will be a little more exciting.

hooray for the long weekend!!!

8 comments:

Tyson and Heather said...

I love your idea of a WHOLE birthday month! Rockin'! K, totally feeling the 'where the crap is summer thing'. Seriously, this real world, stuck inside all day thing is killing me..honestly! I'm so excited for you two and your European journey--woo woo! Happy 4th! We miss Pasadena:(

dana said...

I love your vacation already! And your Grandma's cake shoppe sounds fabulous. No wonder you were spoiled for the plain run-of-the-mill stuff.
Um, it's your birthday??
Happy Birthday!
And yes, please TRY to do more than watch Jon and Kate Plus 8 OR Next Food Network Star. I know you can do better than that :). Have a fun weekend!

Brandon and Erica said...

that's a great idea. So glad you are low-key and watching Jon & Kate will constitute as "birthday fun". You, my friend, are very low maintenance. I like.

Maybe I'll just send you a piece of grass for your birthday.

Kathryn said...

Hurray for birthdays. I like to celebrate mine for at least a week on either side as well. And cupcakes are a good way to do it. How are the red velvet cupcakes at Dots?
Hope you are using your long weekend well.

virginia said...

That cupcake looks DELICIOUS!

♥Mommy Of 2♥ said...

MMMMMmmmm, I really do love anything with sugar and butter too:) I wish I had a cupcake place nearby but It's better I don't because then I would be on THE BIGGEST LOOSER. Anyway love reading your blog, you are so cute. Glad your appartment is getting put together. I'm still trying to with our house and we have been here 4 years, love Kirklands too.

Emily said...

Happy Birthday month! That is so wonderful and exciting.

'Hel said...

I love that place!