Tuesday, July 29, 2008

freaking earthquake

AHHH. big earthquake just hit. 5.8...not as big as the northridge quake, our last big one. but for that i was like 12 and sleeping. this time i'm in downtown LA next to a bunch of skyscrapers.

it definitely shook for a while. everyone stopped and i said "is this an earthquake?" and my co worker, who is not a native CAian, said "yes! can we go home now? i HATE these." lol. i didn't duck and cover because my parents just told me how you're not supposed to go under furniture, you should get next to it because debris makes a triangle shape of protection. so i just sat and watched.

and our awesome 80 year old building has been retrofitted for quakes so we wobbled back and forth for literally 30 seconds. i almost felt seasick. yeah that was scary. how am i supposed to work now?

5 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

I heard about the quake! Crazy! I'm glad everything is okay, but I think they should cancel work for the rest of the day :)

dana said...

yea, casey said it was bad in his building too...and he forwarded me an article that said just what you said, "do NOT get under stuff but next to it." Duh, I've kinda always thought that but I grew up in school learning "duck and cover UNDER your desk or a doorway." Hopefully they're teaching the new methods in school.
Glad everyone's fine. I FREAKING hate earthquakes. Once it starts you have no idea what you're in for...small, HUGE, aftershocks, who knows?

Brandon and Erica said...

awesome and scary all at the same time! I got an email from Lindsay and she said that Bella was pacing 5 minutes before the Quake happened!

Well, i am very glad you're safe! And will consider this a valid excuse as to why you haven't emailed me back yet :-)

♥Mommy Of 2♥ said...

I feel like a total looser because I didn't even know we had one until I came home and looked on my internet and saw the news. I was running errands so I was probably in the car. Thats how it was for me on September 11th,didn't even know until I went into one of my collage classes and people were talking about it, I thought they were joking... I bet when the world ends I am going to be the only one left, AHHHHHHHH, j/k glad you are ok though!

'Hel said...

FINALLY a quake happens during the day when I'm awake and I'm in FREAKING IDAHO!!!! I can't really remember being awake for a quake big enough to be note worthy.......its my life's goal =)