Monday, October 27, 2008

elections cant end soon ENOUGH

for real. i am counting the days till nov. 4.

i have been pretty fed up with the presidential election since about oh...2007. both mccain and obama just mudsling at each other the whole time; i'm so tired of it. i'm sick of the media throwing in their two cents, which is usually a completely biased two cents in either direction, depending on which channel you're watching.

but of course this election hits a little closer to home than usual thanks to our campaigning efforts for prop 8 (yes, i'm still voting YES). i hate how the "yes" voters have come to be known as intolerant, hate-filled people who don't want equality for all -- when in fact WE DO. it's not easy for me to get all activist and outspoken about this stuff because i'm not normally like that, but i will stand up for what i believe -- and that is the fact that children, who have no say in which family they are born into, deserve the right to have a mother and a father.

i'm not here to go over my position, though; that's been done. i would however like to say that the prop 8 debate has become riDICulously heated. "yes on prop 8" signs around the state don't even last overnight before they are stolen/vandalized/destroyed. people are being harassed, yelled at, flipped off, threatened. some people choose to wave "vote yes" signs on busy street corners in their towns and drivers come by and yell, jeer, intimidate. last week in fountain valley a group of people were waving signs (which, last time i checked, is not an illegal thing to do nor is it imposing on others) and some apparently-no-voters came and threw BLEACH on them. one of the wavers was a pregnant woman who got covered in bleach.

seriously? this is insane.

groups on both sides of the issue have every bit as much right as the other to express themselves and stand up for what they believe. but MY SIDE is not the one physically attacking people. who's the hater now?

6 comments:

Jean said...

Yeah, seriously. This whole thing is so divisive, and people can be really awful sometimes. I agree with you, I cannot WAIT to just get this election over with. I feel like it started like two years ago. Oy.

dana said...

I know. The rudeness is seriously ridiculous. Tolerance? Isn't that what the NO voters are trying to preach? I'm not going to say anymore b/c then I am stooping to the same level. But I would like to see my YES on 8 sign stay in my yard for at least 8 hours. This is the second time it was stolen.
Grrrrr.

schnazdoodle said...

Why do you think I pull my Obama sign in at night?! I can't even BEGIN to tell you about the stuff happening to Obama supporters I've read about. Now, to be fair, some things have happened on the other side, as well.

That's what I thought was so fabulous about my neighborhood -- someone put up at Yes on 8, and someone else put up a No on 8 right next to it.

Polite political disagreement. I love it. No one should harm anyone else because they differ in opinion. It's all discourse. Debate challenges us and our beliefs....

However, we must be careful about somehow casting those who support no in a bad light. Not all McCain supporters are hate-mongers who make up attack stories. Not all Yes on 8 supporters send threatening letters to businesses who support No on 8...

I LOVE elections (hello! PoliSci!) -- but even I am glad to see them coming to close...

Megan said...

Seriously!! We have had our share of profanities, birds, spitting at us, things thrown out of moving vehicles... its insane! Last night, as someone was slowing down to yell mean things out his window to those closest to his corner, he rear ended the car in front of him... hmmm. someone getting what they deserve? Well, certainly not the poor person infront of him, but you know what I mean.

Angela and Mike said...

Crazy. Believe what you want to believe...but to be violent to others, that's just stupid. I'll be happy when this is all over too.

scrubgrub said...

I'm stealing your post. It's seriously bugging the crap out of me. No signs stay up for days, yes signs dissapear. What's the fear? I get that there are wacked out anti-Obama people who do crazy things (or AHEM the WeHo guy who hung Palin in a tree- yeah like that wouldn't get immediate CNN coverage reversed), but that's a WHOLE 'nother realm. These are supposed to be educated individuals who only want equal rights...