sorry, i usually value"tags" about as much as i do all the chain emails i receive (by valuing i mean ignoring), but when two of my favorite cousins BOTH tagged me i figured i was stuck. so here you go, seven random things about me:
1. i used to love jonathan taylor thomas. like, unhealthy love. i was about 12 and thought he was the cutest thing EVER. i religiously watched home improvement (which, in retrospect, is a pretty cheesy show), bought all the teeny bopper magazines, plastered his picture all over my room. on november 12, 1997 i went to a rehearsal of home improvement with some friends from my ward and got to go backstage and i met jtt. he was standing in the wings, eating a bowl of rice, wearing a green bomber jacket. he shook my hand and talked to me for a few minutes and at the age of 13 i was already four inches taller than he, who was age 16. i didn't wash my hand for 24 hours and i wore a plastic bag over it when i took a shower. glad i got over that.
2. i have all these weird rules about food handling and cleanliness. if a wet piece of food falls off my plate onto the table, i won't eat it -- but if a dry piece falls off, i probably will. i won't let brandon put a utensil on his placemat if he's already eaten off of it. i don't like skin on the upholstery (i.e. if b takes off his shirt, he can't sit on the couch). i eat peanut butter out of the jar with my finger or a spoon, but refuse to eat anything someone else has touched. my poor husband is very confused by all this.
3. in third grade we did a play of pandora's box and students got to try out to play each thing that came out of the box. i wanted to be hope, who comes out at the end to save the world. i memorized my whole audition script, practiced for days, even dressed up for the part. i was up against only one girl (who also happened to be the most popular girl in our grade). when we auditioned i totally nailed it...this was big because i used to be really shy...and i saw that my teacher wrote my name down as her choice after we both auditioned. but then someone said we should vote, and the class voted for the popular girl. she got to be hope and i ended up with a tiny minor part. i think i cried a lot.
4. most people know this: i was in marching band in high school. but most people do not know that band camp was my very favorite time of the year. during lunch we'd climb the fence and sneak into the school swimming pool to swin in our clothes, then run back to rehearsals all wet. another nice side benefit of this was that some days the boys' water polo team was out there practicing so we could watch them from the field. i loved band.
5. i have taken yoga classes since we got married. at my gym in beverly hills, my teacher's name was raghavan and he was probably 70. it seemed to me that he and hundreds of generations of his ancestors had taught yoga for eternity; i loved that our class was so authentic. now i live in pasadena and the 24 hour yoga teacher's name is amy. i don't like her classes much at all.
6. when i was born i had astygmatism and my eyes crossed. to try to fix it, i had surgery on my eyes when i was eight months old and again when i was two years old. they cut my eyes open, disconnected and reattached the eye muscles so they wouldn't cross, and then i wore glasses until i was 10. my eyes had fixed themselves and today i don't wear contacts or anything. i do, however, have bluish-tinted scars in both eyes from the surgeries. sometimes when i'm talking to people they stop me suddenly and say "do you have HOLES in your eyes?" to which i say yes.
7. i like to make faces. (okay, maybe i didn't have a seventh interesting fact about myself...but a blog is only good if it has a picture :)