Thursday, May 6, 2010
things i know so far about colorado
- parker is really windy.
- denver likes buffalos, rams, chipotle, hybrid cars, gold mining and brick [you see references to these items frequently].
- the downtown area is really pretty and full of old, historic buildings. they have some skyscrapers but even when you're walking down the middle of the city, you don't feel like you're in a giant urban center. picture above is from our visit to the 16th street mall in downtown today.
- the leasing center in our complex has free cookies!! more on where we live soon.
- people really like dogs. and exercising. and wearing exercise clothes out to run errands. everywhere we go, we see people out walking or running with their dogs -- and then, when you go to target in the middle of the day, you see women in snazzy name-brand leggings & hoodies everywhere. i can't figure out if this is a colorado thing or a suburban mom thing.
- denver has a union station just like LA and a colorado blvd just like pasadena.
- i thought denver was a lot closer to the mountains than it actually is. it's called the mile-high city for its elevation, but if any team should have a baseball team named the rockies i would definitely vote salt lake over denver. utah's mountains feel a lot closer.
- they have traffic just like LA, and no carpool lane. odd. we live 15 miles south of downtown but if you want to come down here during rush hour you should really just stay home because it will take you foreverrrr.
more to come :) and by the way we are slowly but surely settling in, so i don't feel weird about being here anymore. i like adventures...it just takes me a couple days to get used to them.