Friday, May 16, 2008

jury duty

i was on call for jury duty this whole week but was never asked to report. imagine my surprise when i dialed in last night, for the final time this week, and found out i had to come in today! i've never actually had to serve before due to college and various other reasons, and it's not like i'm against it or anything -- but as i'm sure you can tell by last night's blog post, i have a lot going on at work right now and jury duty would def throw a wrench in that. not to mention that i'm going to utah in five days and the average jury case is five to seven business days.


so i mildly freaked out but still reported in this morning. i had originally received the summons at our old apartment (yes, i've already postponed a few times) so i went to one of the downtown LA courthouses. i sat in the front row, mulling over all the excuses i could present to get myself excused (my sister is getting married next week and i have nonrefundable plane tickets; my great grandfather was a raging alcoholic; i'm mormon and i abhor sin; etc. etc.), just coughing and enjoying good morning america (how did i never notice how cute josh groban is?).


the line for checking in was right in front of me and a blond woman walked up and got in line. the only part of her i noticed was a gross-looking black heart on her bicep with a name inside it; i glanced at it briefly and thought about how the only other tattoo i've seen like that was on melanie griffith. then the lady turned her head and it WAS melanie griffith! now i'll admit that probably the only movie of hers i've ever seen is "now and then" in the 8th grade when all my friends were obsessed with it, but i'm definitely a fan of the gossip mags (where ms. MG has had quite a few appearances) and that little celeb sighting made the whole day worth it.




i've seen some busted pictures of her in the past, but she didn't look too bad in person. her lips were obviously made of collagen but other than that she's just a skinny blond lady. she said something at the window and then got to leave, lucky girl.

to make a long story short i got to watch the opening segment of regis and kelly (yay!), listen to one of the resident judges give a PR speech about why we were there (the highlights: that building is where paris hilton was sentenced, and brad pitt was in the very same room as me only a month ago. probably when i was originally scheduled to report, dang it), and hear the rules behind postponing before i beelined for the window. i didn't even have to use any excuses -- i'm rescheduled for july 21 (and i kind of hope i have to serve -- the whole thing seems kind of interesting) and i giddily made it to the office at 10 a.m.

and i'm almost all caught up at work, thanks to today :) so glad our judicial system is lenient!

5 comments:

becca said...

hooray! jury duty!

Karly said...

That's an awesome story! Who would have thought the court house is where you would run into a famous person.
I actually just got my first notice of jury duty in 2 weeks. I'm going to try and get out of it because it's out at my parent's house and I don't live there anymore, plus I'm planning a Utah trip during that time. But I too think it would be fun to actually be on the jury. :)

♥Mommy Of 2♥ said...

Ugh, jury duty, I haven't had to go in a while due to babysitting issues, I guess that still works as an excuse. I feel for you, and wow, it's always fun seeing a famous person even if they are fake and plastic.

Angela and Mike said...

Crazy. I bet that was a dream come true since you are the queen of celebs and gossip. haha.

dana said...

btw, I like the way you write. You write like you talk and I like that you're a fast talker. I get along with them best :). You were right...we're totally meant to be friends.