Friday, June 27, 2008

hotlanta

made it home! hooray. georgia overall was a good experience...observances: not too hot or muggy, gas hasn't quite hit $4 yet, waffle houses as prevalent as starbucks are around here. i must say i never saw any 100-calorie pack anythings or even "light" food items, except my healthy wrap at the hotel one night -- those people like their pork rinds, deep-fried and fatty items.

i did find the thick southern accents slightly endearing but also annoying. seriously...do you think it takes effort to talk like that? i wanted to hear them try dropping it for a while. it was pretty cute to hear everyone calling each other "ma'am" and "sir." and atlanta was a cool city...made me want to study the civil rights movement a little more.



my creepy little friend from the previously-mentioned horror hotel. YUCK! three inches, i'm not kidding.

georgia has gorgeous trees, vegetations and mountains. i definitely had a scenic drive.

and the mark of my return to civilization...i was really so delighted by my meal last night that i had to take a picture. for some reason i will never tire of room service, even at an embassy suites...maybe because it's so ridiculously expensive i'd never get it on my own.
only one slight delay on the flight home today, but who am i kidding -- i slept pretty much the entire way (albeit uncomfortably -- i hate sleeping on airplanes. i don't know how i'm going to survive the 14 hour trip to germany). time change is rough, especially when you're only going somewhere (somewhere that's three hours ahead and you have to wake up when your body thinks it's 2 a.m.) for two days. i came home and took a big nap :) so glad to be home.

8 comments:

Nat said...

Yay! Sounds like you had an eventful trip...bugs and all. When I lived in Kentucky we used the Atlanta temple so we'd venture to Atown quite a bit. I've heard that it's a much nicer city now than the last time I was there...

LAURA and ELIZA said...

Oh Lynds! Welcome to the "south"! I lived there for 2 years. Waffle House is so yummy!

dietcokegrrl said...

OK, that bug is just disgusting!!! ewwww---I would never had been able to sleep that night either!!

Glad you're back!

Brandon and Erica said...

that's cool. You are such a traveler now.
I think my favorite part about Georgia when we drove through it were all of the cool Baptist buses on the highway. And all of the *black* people. That was cool. I made tons of friends at the KFC. (not intended to be racist, ignorant, etc.)

dana said...

I've never tried the Waffle Houses, but have always wanted to! I've seen them all over Florida too (must be a southern thing...)

Tyson and Heather said...

the ATL... that place rocks...and it is super hot in the summer too. Just remember that we don't live too far away...just 40 minutes up the road...not far at all!

Angela and Mike said...

Welcome home! That is a NASTY bug picture. Horrifying!

Angie O said...

Haha. Sorry your trip to Ga was so adventurous! You missed all the good stuff in the area, I guess. It really does have some really nice places, ritzy hotels, and low-fat foods :)
I'm glad you gave me your blog address- it'll be fun to see what you're up to!