Saturday, November 1, 2008

all hallows eve

i love halloween. however, yesterday kind of sucked. but that's okay, i am beginning to learn that halloween isn't that much fun unless you are associated with small children or able to dress up slutty, neither of which i do these days, so i suppose everything worked out as expected.

to begin with, we have had some amazing southern california skies here lately. i guess i'm just easily excited by any type of weather, living here, but it has rained off and on in the area of late and the clouds have been amazing. i tried to take some pictures on my way into work yesterday:






i went into work in the morning, but had a meeting at toyota at 11 a.m. my office goes ALL OUT for halloween with costumes and prizes and the works, so i was pretty excited to see everyone's outfits and join in the festivities.

i even came up with a group costume idea for me and the three other girls on the auto team -- we were grapes:



i can't really take credit for the costume fully, because i was actually a grape in 11th grade and that was megan tanner's idea. (thanks megs! your brilliance lives on :)

anyway, i couldn't dress up with the girls at 9 because i had to leave for toyota right after. so i helped blow up balloons and pin them on, then went to my meeting -- which was supposed to be done at 11:30 but lasted TWO HOURS. i probably needed to be there for about three minutes of that two hours, so that was even more frustrating. the work halloween lunch/party started at 12:30. so by the time i got to the office it was 1:30 p.m., despite driving 90 mph on the 110 freeway -- and the party was just about over.

there was no more free lunch left (but it was panda express...yuck...so i guess it's okay), no diet coke, no one to see me as a grape too. we ran upstairs and pinned me up and ran back down, but everything was over. we took that picture above and then un-pinned so i could sit at my desk. i was effectively a grape for about 10 minutes.

i spent the afternoon busting my butt to get out on time, since my morning had been wasted. they announced the winners of the costume contest -- and best group costume went to the grapes! but when they sent out the email, only the names of the three other girls were listed along with a picture of only them. not me.

i managed to leave on time...even a little early...and came home to an empty house. brandon left on thursday for a spur-of-the-moment trip to san francisco (literally...he booked his flight less than 24 hours before he left for the airport) and wasn't scheduled to land until 8 p.m. friday night. that killed our fun halloween plans with the fujis, another bummer.

so i did what i'd do any other night of the week and took myself to target to get some stuff. on the way home i saw the CUTEST little trick-or-treaters out with their parents, all dressed up and running up and down the streets. adorable. but i just felt super lonely and sad. so i went home and watched what not to wear and thought about how crappy my day had been. so much for my wonderful halloween that i had been looking forward to.

but then brandon got home, saw me all depressed and tried to cheer me up. we lit all my new halloween candle holders and watched a treehouse of horror episode (it's not halloween without the simpsons) and my all-time favorite h-ween movie, hocus pocus. i guess the night ended up great after all.

happy halloween!

10 comments:

Nat said...

Halloween isn't Halloween without Hocus Pocus...definitely one of the best movies of all time. :) So lame they didn't acknowledge your brilliance with the grape costume! If I were you, I'd start job-hunting...

Justin + kelly said...

grapes eh.... where have i seen that before?? love it!

Danny and Kristen Woodbury said...

I was so excited to get a comment from you! Danny and I were actually talking about you and Brandon tonight over a Panera dinner... basically, we still need to hang out and he wants you to teach me how to make Panini sandwiches. :) Halloween wasn't the best for me either. I had to drive 2 hours to give a 1 hour therapy session, had to go to work on a day off for 3.5 hours, couldn't get Danny to take me out on a date or even hang out with me... AND THERE WAS NO CANDY!!! Next year I can have Ashlyn get candy for me, so that will be better!! BY the way, I LOVE the grape costume!! Props to that!

Angela and Mike said...

Your costume for 10 minutes was worth it JUST for the picture. you guys look fantastic. What a sad story though about missing your party :( I'm sorry. I'm glad you got to watch hocus pocus with Brandon though!

Jean said...

I think you and the other grapes definitely should've won the costume contest. And your office should've saved you some Diet Coke. :-) I love the costume, though!! Great idea!! I'm glad you got to have a happy Halloween after all, with some Treehouse of Horror and Hocus Pocus. :-) Hopefully the In N Out truck made up for the not-so-fun parts!! Mmmmm.

Kathryn said...

You're right that Halloween is more fun with kids. However, Lilly still didn't really get into it this year. We went the the church's trunk or treat party, and she actually ate more baby carrots and grape tomatoes than candy, all the while running around the gym like a crazy person in her puppy outfit. But I couldn't get her to bark. Maybe next year...

Megan said...

Being a bunch of grapes is the coolest thing to do on Halloween. Of course you won.
PS- I miss you!!!

dietcokegrrl said...

Sorry about your lame Halloween! Your costume was fabulous though!!

Emily said...

What a great husband to cheer youy up!

dana said...

Your Grape costumes are seriously so adorable! And um, isn't Megan Tanner a Full House member?

Sorry it was kind of a bummer day. Lame. No food, no Diet Cokes, no Costume party, NO HUSBAND?!
Glad it sort of worked out in the end.

And I thought you guys did a great job on your trunk at the ward party. I love it when people go all out like and make it cool and fun. I bet the older kids loved all the gross stuff. I always got into that stuff!