Thursday, June 5, 2008

making a living

so i have this personal policy where i don't blog about specific work things (never know how those things can pop up to bite you in the professional world) but i wanted to share one cool thing i did this week. mainly because it has been consuming my life for the past few weeks.

the motorcycle company i work for debuted a new cruiser on tuesday (it was all very top secret until the embargo lifted just yesterday) on the deck of the USS Midway in san diego. this involved me working long hours to organize catering, DJs, AV, Midway contracts, equipment rentals, shuttle services, air travel, hotel reservations, press kits and various other event logistics.

in the course of the event i bought numerous drinks for all media and staff (i'm always so amused when i get to sit at a bar and pass around alcoholic beverages...), stayed at a fully swanky hotel which oddly had a glass wall in the bathroom (and where they were filming real housewives of orange county...in the hotel, not my room), and get less than five hours of sleep. good times.

view from my window

half of my lovely hotel room; sadly, i'm always too busy while working to really enjoy the awesome places they put us up. see the glass wall on the left? that's the corner of the shower. yeah, weird.
perks at the ivy: free voss water, full-size hard liquor in the "mini bar" (i guess that's a perk for some people, but not for someone who doesn't drink!), an actual CAN of jelly bellys, ipod stereo system, my own vanity fair magazine, SUPER comfy bed and cheneille robe, and "relaxation" room spray at my turndown service. if only they had free cookies at night time...

anyway, if you don't like my cryptic review of the event you can read media reviews of our work here, here, here or here.

7 comments:

dietcokegrrl said...

ahhh, I miss the good old days when someone else paid for my hotel rooms...and it was always really nice places too!

Sounds like it all went really well--nice job!

Thanks again for the walk!

dana said...

Excellent post. I love hearing about people's jobs and I'm so glad you posted a picture of your hotel room because I also love seeing the inside of rooms! (um, for research purposes I suppose) And yea, strange shower.
Glad everything went well and very cool looking motorcycle. Sounds like all your hard work paid off!

Roxanne said...

the high life of a PR professional! looks and sounds like fun!

Angela and Mike said...

Wow, cool hotel and event! I'm so proud of you. You can do so many cool things! If I ever need to plan an event, I know who to talk to for sure!

Brandon and Erica said...

dude! You are soo hip. You just keep getting cooler. Amazing.
The free Voss water is cool enough! I love those sweet glass bottles. And, if you tote that one around for the next year, guaranteed you will be featured in a magazine under "What's Hot".

Sounds like you had a great time, but I'm glad you can relax now ::somewhat::

Megan said...

The Midway?!? Were you down here??? Comfy beds are my favorite part of hotels...

Ashley said...

Yeah for doing a good job, you PR practitioner, you! And yeah, weird wall.