Wednesday, June 18, 2008

thoughts on humanity

i have been known to say things like "i hate humans." this is usually while i am driving/walking and someone cuts me off, when i see parents letting their children run wild in stores, etc. etc. i realize this is a completely blasphemous generalization and pretty much goes against all the teaching of my church (not to mention the fact that yes, i too am human) but sometimes i am just disgusted with our population.

today was a rare opportunity to witness humanity at a low point. i left work at a normal time today and was quite happy about it, so i did the usual brisk walk from the subway through union station. when i got to the stairs to the gold line i figured something was weird because there were crowds of people all around, where usually there are none. when i got to the top of the stairs i saw literally hundreds of people just standing around. problem with the train? yes.



this was a nice reminder that i will be utterly stranded in downtown los angeles if something ever really DOES happen to the train. regardless, i heard snippets of what was going on (electrical damage, shot brakes, a fire at the lake station, etc.) but about three minutes after i got up there a rescue train arrived. i just stood back and watched to see what was happening -- there was no way i was going to shove my way onto that ridiculously packed getaway train. ten minutes later another train came, i made my way onto it (standing room only of course, but i actually got a seat two stops before i got off) and the huge crowd started to abate.

but this got me thinking. i dont really like to be in large crowds like that because it's all a little too disaster-scenario for me. people start being mean to each other and the base of human nature pops out. i stood in the hot sun at the platform for maybe 15 minutes, but that was more than enough time to see people pushing, dropping f-bombs, fighting with each other. yuck. i hope i never have to be in a situation like that where it is actually life and death, because i hate the way people don't help each other and just look out for number one. like on war of the worlds where hoards of people surround tom cruise's car because they want to take it. scary stuff.

and then, while i was thinking all these deep thoughts about mankind, our train drove through one of the "bad" parts of town and i saw a boy, not older than 8 or 9, riding a scooter in the street and gleefully flipping off the train as it drove past. how lovely. yes, let's teach our kids that there's nothing wrong with vulgar hand gestures. i have so much hope for the future. blecchh.

7 comments:

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Strangely enough I find your pessimism delightful...

Heehee.

Long time no nothing BFF. ;) I need to be a better pen-pal... but the gist is you rock pretty much.

...Down with the human race and what not.

dietcokegrrl said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. My motto for a REALLY long time was "I hate people." It really only subsided when I stopped having as much interaction with the outside world (i.e. became a SAHM) AND stopped watching the news all the time. (I used to have a serious addiction to CNN and Headline News waaay back in the day.)

Whenever I hear or read news stories about all the cruel and evil people in the world hurting and abusing others, and animals especially, I just can't help but think how much I hate people.

There are still days when I want to bring my motto back. Like a few nights ago when I made the mistake of watching the evening news and heard about this mother who SEVERELY abused her 5 year old son and the news went into some seriously disturbing detail of what was done. I think it makes me even more upset now because I have children and one of them is almost the same age and it just made me cry.

I don't understand people, I really don't. I try not to hate others, but they just make it so freaking difficult.

Sorry to ramble but I was seriously thinking about this ever since that news story and am glad to know that others feel the same sometimes.

Oh and I'm sorry to say that sometimes I let my kids run around in the store (if it's a small one...not a huge place like Target). Be glad you weren't at Kragen Auto Parts with me on Monday--I'm sure all the men in there couldn't WAIT until we left!! Ahhh, you'll understand when you have 2 under the age of 5. heehee

Camille said...

it reminds me of the parking lot after a fireside at the Marriott Center. Let's see how mean we can be to each other trying to get out of the parking lot asap, oh, after just hearing a General Authority speak to us.
i seriously feel all your sentiments. i think our peru trip involved getting on and off the plane about 6 times. and every time we shook our heads at the low-life pushing and shoving and reaching and crowding the aisles and blah blah blah. i could go on. i won't. you've stated it so well.

oh, and yes, you will definitely be stranded in downtown should a disaster happen. keep a pair of walking shoes at your office!

dietcokegrrl said...

I have to add a quick addendum to my comment. I don't let my kids run around ALL the time in stores. It's actually pretty rare, but I have been known to do it on occasion when they are screaming because they want to get out of the stroller or cart and the store is really small (like Kragens) and I absolutely have to buy something there (like a car part) and don't want to have to go back.

IMHO, it's better than the screaming.

OK--that makes me feel better. I promise, I'm not one of THOSE parents, but it has happened once or twice. :)

lyndsey said...

okay okay...i feel like i need to clarify. i get that sometimes kids can/should run around...i am specifically referring to the parents (esp. in target) who don't even pay attention to their children at ALL as they tear around aisles, crash into people, etc. etc. i think kragen is fine :)

and granted not ALL humans are awful. i have heard lots of stories of kindness and compassion in disasters and whatnot. for some reason i just never see things like that in downtown LA :)

Angela and Mike said...

bleechhh... haha. Yeah. I love people watching. It's not fun to watch people, however, when they are being lame humans. It is interesting the human nature that comes out in bad situations...almost animal like.

Brandon and Erica said...

haha. LOVE your posts and thoughts about humanity.

And yes...I do agree with you. But yet I still find myself addicted to watching 5+ hours a day of seasons of "24" and "Prison Break".

I think the blecch can be directed towards me. It's okay though. I can take it.