Thursday, August 7, 2008

ain't no holla back girl

today was kind of a long day, so when i was standing in the subway station at 7:30 p.m. i was feeling sort of sorry for myself -- that i had to stay so late, that i still have so much to do, that my poor husband was still AT work. i was listening to shawn mcdonald and trying to feel happy when a black guy wearing a doo rag but no shirt walked his bike right up to me.

for those of you unaware, the LA subway system gets kind of freaky after 6:30 p.m. because you're with the street crew, not the white collar commuters (really, even then it's still a little scary sometimes). i'm not really an eye contact kind of girl anyway, but i really try to avoid looking at/talking to any people on the trains especially at night.

so he's standing like three feet away from me staring at me, but i'm tough and i don't look at him just because he's trying to get me to. then he taps my arm so i finally glance over. and what does he say to me? "do you go clubbin?" um, no, sorry. "well, you fit the profile." i'm never very quick on my feet with retorts -- i usually think of something very witty to say about 10 minutes after the fact -- so unfortunately i wasn't able to ask exactly what that profile included. instead i said "i don't think so, i'm married so that's not really my thing" and then hopped on the subway, which had fortuitously arrived.

thanks, crazy guy, for brightening up an otherwise dull night.

2 comments:

dana said...

hilarious! I guess it's a compliment that a dude in a doo rag and a bike for transportation hoped you were the clubbin type? You've still got it. The boys' heads are still turning! :) (actually I'm pretty sure they are for normal guys too :) )

LAURA and ELIZA said...

You know I love you lynds! But the comment about Breaking Dawn was completly uncalled for. ;) I do love your letters to the universe though.