Tuesday, August 12, 2008

shades of 96

watching the olympics tonight makes me remember how the last time i got super into the games was the 1996 olympics because of the women's gymnastics team. ohhh man i loved them. i had the wheaties box, a book, the people magazine with "the magnificent seven" on the cover, etc. etc.

i was in sixth grade and spent every afternoon for a month after the olympics out on our trampoline, trying to do flips and keep my balance on a "balance beam" i drew with chalk. too bad at that time i was already probably a good two feet too tall to ever be a gymnast. oh well. i still love dominique moceanu, kerri strug, dominique dawes and all the rest. maybe i'll sign my future daughters up for gymnastics and live vicariously through them ;)

and speaking of flashbacks...tomorrow in pershing square they are doing an outdoor concert featuring none other than sophie b. hawkins. um, seriously? i totally loved her "as i lay me down to sleep" song...i think i was in 6th grade for that heyday as well. and now she's performing midday concerts in the middle of downtown LA. interesting switch.

5 comments:

dietcokegrrl said...

Seriously. Don't tell me you were in 6th grade in 1996. Ummm, I had been out of high school for three years already (yep, class of '93).

MAN am I old! Thanks for the reminder... :)

dana said...

I'm glad you have a love in your heart for the olympics. I do too. We can be happy for the USA even if our husbands aren't that into it.
I love these stories of adolescence with real dreams of being an olympian. I swear, so many girls have wanted to be a gymnast. And I guess guys have wanted to be astronauts?
Cute story of '96.

Justin + kelly said...

i so heart the olympics. we are already planning to go in london. aside from what the kiddies are going to go for, im thinking i could go in either the horse riding stuff (seriously how hard could it be) or maybe the guy who sits in front of the crew boats.

Sarah said...

i love the olympics and always tear up a little when i watch. i totally remember all those girls - and that SNL sketch with bella corolli (sp?) carrying kerri strug around...

'Hel said...

oh I remember that phase all too well!! =)
hey I found something for you- http://cupcakeblog.com/index.php
you probably already know about this one but who knows.....