Friday, August 1, 2008

tooth? what tooth?

okay, so maybe i was really just overreacting when i was so nervous to get my wisdom tooth out. once again let me remind you it was only a TOOTH, not "teeth" -- i only had one, it was on top, and it was already halfway out of my gum so when i walked in the oral surgeon said this should be a piece of cake.

except that the worst part was the three shots of novocaine they shot up into my brain via the roof of my mouth...ouch. my eyes teared up a little then and i think the surgeon thought he was dealing with a crazy nervous patient (probably because i had also told him "i'm a little nervous" with a freaked-out little giggle) so from then on he didn't really tell me what was going on.

after some other guy explained what to do when i went home, they laid me back in the chair to "test the area." my mouth was numb at this point and they had me bite on a bite block, turn my head, etc. while it felt like they just poked around and tapped some of my back teeth. then they sat me up and said i was good to go! WHAT??!? i had felt no yank, no blood in my mouth, no cutting, nothing at all. i was biting down on a piece of gauze but convinced the tooth was still in my mouth -- i had been in that chair, start to finish, no longer than 20 minutes. um...yeah. i'm glad i did't pay $500 more to get put to sleep for five seconds.

i haven't had very much pain (no vicodin even -- my 800 mg motrins are doing just fine on their own) and the only time i believed it had really been done was when i came home to eat dinner and pulled out a nasty bloody chunk of gauze. i considered taking a picture of it but decided to spare my blog readers the horror :)

so basically...this was no big deal. i'm eating mushy foods and just hanging out today, short one little tooth that i don't even miss.

piece. of. cake.

3 comments:

scrubgrub said...

seriously it's the best only having a few wisdom teet (tooth in your case) out. I feel like I've CHEATED the big bad dentist trauma all real adults are supposed to go through.
Rest up!

dana said...

Great review! So glad it all went well and that it was easy breezy. Yay!

Tyson and Heather said...

Yay..glad it went well!