Monday, August 4, 2008

filipino feasting

this weekend my aunt/uncle/cousins, the gratils, were visiting from arizona. they are lots of fun to have around for many reasons, not the least of which is that my uncle melchor always cooks us a giant filipino feast. and this trip was noooo exception.

melchor grew up in the phillipines and met my aunt susan when she was on her mission there. they got married when i was three so i never thought any different of having a cool filipino uncle. then when we all started catching on to his magical cooking there was really NO problem at all.

yesterday brandon and i drove to rancho to see the fam and have dinner. melchor cooked a ridiculously large amount of lumpia and pan sit and it was de-lish-ous. mmmm. my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it.



loom-pee-uh. (n.) kind of like a filipino egg roll but with meat. dip it in some garlic-vinegar sauce and you have pure heaven.



pan seet. (n.) some crazy kind of tasty noodles with chicken, snow peas and various veggies thrown in for good measure.

(we usually also get some yummy sticky rice for dessert but unfortch due to the travel schedule we had to skip that. so we made up for it with some coleman/payzant family classics.)



this is garlic bread from the smoke house -- we went through four loaves in less than 10 minutes. if you don't know what that is and you live within a 100-mile radius of burbank CA you are SERIOUSLY missing out. seriously.



we also had tea cakes from martino's bakery in burbank. (can you tell my family has deep roots in the valley?) the poor gratils have missed these treats so they had to stock up, and we all got to share in the spoils.



everyone feasting.



this is what the boys did after dinner.



saying goodbye to the gratils. jeremy, on the left, is one of the coolest kids i know and is leaving next month on a mission to brazil. sad sad day. (and my aunt is really 4'11" -- i've been taller than her since 4th grade. as have the rest of her family.)

not a bad way to spend a sunday, i must say. and we have leftovers to boot! (haha...am i too into food? maybe.)

4 comments:

dana said...

I've never had Filipino food. Looks good! fun dinner.

Jean said...

Yuuuuuum-o. That sounds delish. I wish I had a Filipino cook in my family. Haha, I love the communal napping!

Angela and Mike said...

Wow, you've gotten so much done! upholstering chairs...getting teeth pulled, eating great food...how fun. I love that you always post about yummy food. Your blogs always make me hungry. haha.

Brandon and Erica said...

And all these years I had no idea you had a filipino uncle! That is awesome, and I am jealous.

I love the picture of the boys laying down after a nice full meal. Hilarious.

And, your upholstered chairs? Beautiful. And inspiring.