Monday, August 25, 2008

today's delights

first of all, just to clear up any confusion, no i did not FLY to san diego from LA. haha. i agree, that would be ridiculous. i drove down here, but part of my job this week is to greet the media when they arrive at the airport. because multiple groups arrive each day and flights inevitably get delayed, that means i end up sitting in the airport for a while -- hence the blog post. and hence my new cold, which i'm convinced was sparked by the frigid recycled airport air i breathed for 10 hours straight on saturday.


today was a good day; i feel like i'm hitting my event stride. it's nice when you switch over from feeling like you are wasting your life doing something, and instead realize that you are in fact still living -- you're just doing it in a different way than normal.


this morning i drove two dutch (are people from the netherlands dutch? they're from amsterdam, holland. does that make them hollandish? i have no idea) journalists to the airport to pick up their rental car. it actually kind of worked out because i had to trade in my rental car anyway, the brakes were shot and made a horrible grinding sound. not my fault, though i am quite an aggressive braker.

so anyway we were chatting in the car and one of them told me i had to go to jim morrison's grave while in paris. the other guy made a joke about how morrison isn't really dead, just like elvis, and as an afterthought he added that elvis is delivering newspapers in indiana. i kind of laughed, figuring he was referring to some longstanding joke i wasn't aware of.


then he started saying how he had watched an american tv show where elvis was the newspaper delivery man -- and it totally clicked in my brain. he was talking about eerie indiana, one of the greatest shows of my lifetime! for anyone who cares to remember, this was a great disney channel show -- the main guy is the boy from hocus pocus, another lifetime fave -- about all these weird things that happened in erie IN. my favorite episode involved a woman who didn't want her kids to age, so she made them sleep in tupperware and they'd been the same age for 50 years. oh, so classic. anyone else feeling me here? i'm not crazy...i swear.








anyway, i've never met anyone else who remembers the show including my own sister, who watched every disney channel show with me, AND lacy jean sparks baldwin, who has also seen saturday's warrior, home alone and anne of green gables (all top favorites). i was quite delighted to hear that my new friend, all the way from holland, knew and loved the show too.

then, while dining at the hotel for lunch, my co worker and i were nonplussed while scoping out the dessert menu. i asked the waitress if i could just have a cookie, an item noticeably missing from the menu (you can do things like that when you live in a hotel for 10 days...we can get anything we want around here) and she said she'd check. when she came back she brought me THIS:





anyone who knows me knows that cookies are my reason for life. each one of these babies were about the size of my face (proud to report i haven't finished them off yet, but i'm about halfway through) and so delicious. if i can't have my husband, cookies are a great runner up.


what a great day :)

8 comments:

Jill said...

I LOVE THAT SHOW! And I've never met anyone else who remembers it either. Actually, I found the whole series on DVD three years ago and bought it for my brother for Christmas. We made my (much younger) sisters watch it with us and they just didn't appreciate it. What is wrong with kids today? Anyway, you totally made my day. Have fun in S.D.

scrubgrub said...

Loved that show.. wonder if I can find it online somewhere.

Man oh man, those cookies are my screensaver. We're off to Hawaii on Friday, so the diet is started, and I'm SUPER grumpy, so thanks! Those are spectacular.

Angela and Mike said...

haha, what funny stories. I"m glad you are getting celebrity treatment at the hotels and getting everything you want!

Justin + kelly said...

HAHA. Once my dad asked me where Dutch people are from and I think my exact quote was Dutchnessland. Not the brightest thing I have ever said, but I was like 11 and had no idea. So, FYI, Holland is like a providence in The Netherlands and Amsterdam is a city in Holland. Holland is not intercahngeable with the Netherlands. Add that to your next trivia night.

'Hel said...

you are such a lier to the blogging world!!! I DO TO remember watching that show! I loved it too. funny you should mention that episode- when you first said Erie Indiana that was the first thing that popped into my head! no joke =)

Jamie Onken said...

I love your blog! You always make me laugh.

dana said...

Yes, people from Holland are Dutch. It's weird there, you can call it Holland or the Netherlands. I think Netherlands is the official country name. Holland is perhaps an old name? (Um, not that you were asking :))
I've never heard of Eerie Indiana but holy weird that a dutch man has! I'm glad you found a kindred friend. And I'm SO glad you found yummy cookies. Definitely a good replacement for a husband.
Good luck with the rest of the event!

Megan said...

haha! there's an in n out on the way to the airport, just off the 5, let me know if you need directions :)