Wednesday, April 9, 2008

all by myself

so brandon has been working late the past few weeks, and then left me today to go to san francisco for a few days (marielle -- i told him to call you guys :) so basically i've been a single woman for a week. i was totally depressed about today until about 11 a.m. when one of my co workers gave me one of her birthday sprinkles cupcakes and then my day started looking up.

i always said i wanted to grow up and marry a doctor or a fireman or someone who would be gone for a few days at a time in regular intervals because i definitely value my alone time, so it amuses me that now i'm one of those clingy girls who gets sad when she has to be by herself. but it's different when you're used to grocery shopping and going to the gym and perusing target with someone and then all of the sudden you have to do these things by yourself. not to mention that i live in a still-slightly-unfamiliar neighborhood and that i'm so scared of our complex that i only made it 10 minutes on the treadmill last night in our onsite gym before i freaked out and went home.

but i will be okay. last night, for example, i went to kickboxing. i had a semi-healthy dinner (turkey hot dog, green beans and wheat thins -- i'm trying really hard to avoid cereal dinners although we all know that's my favorite thing EVER and i've already had it once this week). i went to target, purchased some new shelves that i have wanted, and started to assemble them.

i was going to include a picture of the shelves from target.com but my brain is too tired to remember their exact name. just know that they're white and metal and you have to assemble them. this is usually a brandon job but since he is always gone i have to take matters into my own hands. i got 1/6th of the way through it and then got tired and watched american idol. but i built it and that's all that matters!

yes and then i watched A.I. i thought michael johns did a good job, i don't know what was up with the judges. and i agree that david cook needed a little reality check before his head blows up because he's so freaking amazing. and brooke...seriously? that girl is starting to really bug me. but then i read this on MSN today:

Brooke White had been sailing along until winding up in the bottom three a week ago. White is the most predictable of the finalists, in that she always sounds perfectly nice and pleasant without doing anything truly memorable. Disliking her is akin to kicking puppies or heckling little kids playing soccer, but where she's fallen off in recent weeks is that she's not doing much to get people passionately in her corner.

LOL that's exactly how i feel too. she's just too nice to hate.

so tonight it's yoga, the rest of the shelves, and probably cereal. and nothing else because brandon also took the computer (!!!!) so i have no connection to the outside world :( more blogging comin at ya from GH after-hours, soon.

11 comments:

Brandon and Erica said...

GH after-hours? impressive.
I do mine on business hours. Oops..I mean, no I don't. :-)

Well...GOOD JOB! You are a big girl living in a strange world (cue the song, "New Soul")...so I will keep praying for your safety and Brandon's fast return.

And, just in case you didn't count: you owe me an email. :-)

Angela and Mike said...

haha, I love that your sprinkle cupcakes turned the day around. That's classic. I agree, I love going those places with mike. I'm proud of you for putting the shelves together...what a woman!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

yeah, it's not fun when the hubby goes out of town.

i feel the same way. I'm like...oh i can get so much done. and then you get sad. but i'm glad you are being productive!

what brand of turkey dog? I have yet to try those?

so are you going to buy the hungry girl book? :)

Marielle said...

Being alone does suck! Brandon hasn't called but he should call us! I can't wait t o see how cute your new place is once you guys are all moved in!

'Hel said...

lol I totally remember when you came up with that plan (getting a husband who works a lot).
I miss you sister!! I can't wait to play with you this next week!!!

Jackie King said...

Hey Lyndsey! Sorry to hear your all alone. I had to do it for a while when Tyler was on business trips and it SUCKS. I love your blog and the pixs of Cali. It looks so much warmer than DC. What are you up to now? I haven't talked to you in forever.

The Mid Life Guru said...

It is not very nice to even consider hating Brooke. I vote for her every week because she is so genuine ( and being LDS doesn't hurt either). Sorry that your Michael John lost tonight. Only one more night and Brandon will be home. Hang in there. xxoo

Emily said...

Sprinkle cupcakes are the best! I can only imagine how much harder it would be after knowing what it is like to have someone.

Rebecs said...

I also LOVE my alone time, but too get use to the company and miss it when Chris is gone. Although I must admit I am much more productive when I don't have someone to just hang out with. Loved the sprinkle cupcake story and your mom's comment, she is too funny.

Leticia said...

Wow! I love your new place...It is big and pretty ...Remember these times...They are hard, and so new , and in times to come it will be something that you will cherish...they will be fond memories...

Mauren said...

Aw, sad that you were lonely. That's exactly what it's like to come home after being a missionary and going places by yourself. I made (and still make) my little sister go places with me so I didn't have to go alone. No fun.