Tuesday, April 15, 2008

last night at the gym...

just another night at the pasadena 24 hour...i walked in, put my newsweek in the cupholder, started unwinding my headphones (do ipod headphones EVER stay untangled?) and hopped on the elliptical.

"do you have a battery?"

the girl next to me, who had already been on her elliptical for 36 minutes, asked me a simple question. i'm not really into verbally communicating at the gym (in bev hills our gym had its own girls-only workout room which i LOVED...i never had to talk to anyone) but i answered her with a negative and a smile.

"oh, well, my walkman died and i hate working out without music."

i smiled and nodded again. and turned on my ipod (translation = no more talking)

"oh my gosh that's so TINY! how does it even work? i don't know much about those things because i'm not high tech."

smile and nod. i even took the ipod out of its case to show her just how tiny it is.

"well you're lucky you can listen to music. HEY -- is there another hole in there for me to plug my headphones in, so i can listen too?"

uh...no. "No, sorry." i opened the newsweek, started reading. she inquired about the cover (referring to how environmentally-minded the presidential candidates are) and i actually had to explain what "green" means. then my ipod died. NICE. she was excited that now i had to exercise in silence as well. unless you don't count it as silence because she was still talking. finally she quieted down and i went back to sweating in peace.

five minutes later. "don't you think the 20s are a tough age? i mean, you're not a teenager, but you're not really an adult either. i don't like it. was it hard for you too?"

me: "how old are you?"

"23."

me: "me too."

"you ARE??" i'm not sure exactly how old she expected me to be. i considered telling her that i had a full time job and have been married for a year and half -- at only 23! -- to see what kind of frenzy that would throw her into, but decided to hold back.

then miraculously she decided to leave. i went back to working out, until i got a tap on the shoulder.

"hey, the front desk had a battery. AND i found TWO PENNIES on the floor! i just wanted to tell you." she giggled and walked away.

and i thought LA had all the crazies.

11 comments:

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

i HATE when people talk to me when I am exercising. (unless I came with them or something)

...who has a walkman anymore anyway!

Stephanie said...

That is hilarious! What a weirdo.

virginia said...

Haha, typical Pasadena gym-goer. Wait until you frequent Trader Joes, it's a riot there sometimes.

Rebecs said...

You know, I'm really disappointed you don't keep a spare battery in your shoe.

Justin + kelly said...

I can totally hear you in my mind!! I so wish I was there!

Ashley said...

oh goodness! I would have been so annoyed!

Brandon and Erica said...

haha. Funny. And, I am the exact same way. PLEASE don't talk to me when I'm working out. I already am only there for only 20 minutes, so when you try to infringe on those precious minutes, I can't get my cardio in. SHEESH people!

And, you should've asked if you could borrow two pennies.

Angela and Mike said...

haha, that is so funny. I hate talking to people when I exercise. I went running with Mike yesterday and he tried to hold my hand (jokingly)...I was like NO WAY! haha.

At least she foudn 2 pennies!

Happy Family said...

I have been to the gym so many times and never ran into anyone crazy. I did take a friend with me once and she kept talking to the instructor and interupting class and asking questions. Everyone else thought she was the crazy!

Too bad your ipod died while working out.

Kara Lanier

Mauren said...

hahaha...as if the first part of the story wasn't good enough, your ipod had to go and die, too. I can see it now. :)

I always hate when people try to talk to you at the gym, too. It's generally my most productive "think time" and to have someone interrupting, especially if you're out of breath, is never fun.

The Mid Life Guru said...

She just sounded like she wanted to make a new friend and poor thing, she didn't know who she was dealing with. I'm the silent type on airplanes; just let me read without any interruptions. And telling you she found 2 pennies -- now that was cute.