Saturday, May 31, 2008

rough times

so i've been in the habit of injuring myself lately. (my cell phone also falls into this category because i'm pretty sure i've dropped it five times in the past 48 hours.) for some reason i've been really accident prone all week, cutting myself with scissors, bumping myself on sharp objects, grabbing the edge of the toaster, etc.

today i laid out (one of my favorite saturday activities when i actually spend the day at home, which is rare these days) for only 30 min. granted, this was between 12:30 and 1 p.m. but i like to think i get intense sunlight for short periods of time for the best tanning. i got FRIED. not the good kind that makes you look jamaican. the bad kind that's splotchy and itchy and red all over select parts of the body (for some reason my arms got no color whatsoever, so i don't really match). that hurts.

but the best one was yesterday. last night was my sister's reception in rancho and i really wanted to get down there to help the fam set up and whatnot, not to mention see my sis for the last time before she leaves. things came up at work and i wasn't able to leave as early as i had wanted. i planned to take the train to rancho (look at me, all about public transportation) and brandon was going to drive out after the traffic died down. i finally left the office around 5 and wanted to be SURE to get on the earliest train possible so i started running down fifth to the subway station. this is not an unusual occurence; i do this once in a while when i want to look nerdy and get home quick :)

as i was crossing the street, though, my flats bumped the curb and i felt myself starting to fall. i did everything i could to save it and kept my legs pumping -- i think i made it five more steps before totally losing it. then -- you guessed it -- i landed spread eagle right in the middle of downtown LA on the dirty nasty sidewalk. my cell phone went flying across the street, my bag fell down, the 20 people behind me collectively said "ohhhhhh." a good embarassing moment. a bunch of people actually stopped to make sure i was okay, and a nice-looking latina lady (who had also been running across the street) helped me up and brushed me off. i was in rare form -- dirty jeans, bleeding hands, bruised knee and hip, crying a little (naturally) -- but i got up and limped to the train, walking with a herd of people who had just seen me eat it. at the train station one woman with a jersey accent said "you okay?" when i nodded she said "see, lesson learned. never run. it's not worth it." and then walked away. love it. who says people in big cities can't be nice?

so there you have it -- i'm a klutz and i injure myself regularly. i'm not usually a tough person but dana's little trooper lucy has given me the strength to buck up and be strong with all my stupid injuries. guess it was a rough week for all of us :)

6 comments:

Megan said...

ouch... sorry Lynds.

dana said...

I can't wait to see your awesome sun-tan tomorrow!
And wow, you did take a nasty fall. I'm glad Lucy inspired you. Although, bleeding, scraped hands. Ouch, that's an injury all of it's own.
I love/hate unsolicited advice from strangers.

dietcokegrrl said...

Love that someone else is a klutz like me!! YAY!

Angela and Mike said...

Be careful! Jeez girl!

Roxanne said...

is it wrong that i'm laughing at this story? sorry you fell but i find it a little humourous. sorry!

Sarah said...

being a klutz runs in my family. i stepped off of a school bus once and slipped on some gravel, landed ON my saxophone - and i still can't live down the time i "fell off the bus" in 8th grade.

when my mother was pregnant with me, she fell down in a movie theater parking lot -- and EVERYONE saw. so don't feel so bad. it happens to the best of us.