Thursday, May 22, 2008

wii fit


so a little thing called wii fit came out this week. if you know anything about the amazing wii, you might have heard of it -- it's a new game that lets you do yoga, test your weight & BMI, work with a little virtual trainer and do all sorts of balance games and exercises. it's super fun and really does give you a little workout.

anyway, brandon does PR for nintendo so basically his life has been consumed the past few weeks (months?) with preparing for the big launch that happened yesterday. if you don't know much about PR (which is totally fine...not many people do; our parents don't even really get what we do for a living. just please don't ever ask me if it's like advertising), one of the major parts of it is working with the media to get word out about your product/client. in the case of wii fit, this meant that brandon and his team had to coordinate hundreds of interviews, demos, loans and press releases with media all over the country to help spread the word about wii fit before it came out to the public (and sold out on amazon.com).

they definitely did a good job (which is probably the reason you've heard about it already, if you actually have) -- all four anchors on the today show have played wii fit on the air; it was mentioned it on SNL during last saturday's weekend update and in the monologue on the conan o'brien show; and of course tons of articles have already been written (and will be written) about the new game. brandon's work specifically got wii fit into men's fitness, the atlanta journal-constitution and a bunch of other outlets.

so i just wanted to give a little shout out to my husband's great work :) basically this post is validation for myself so i can feel better about having barely seen brandon throughout the month of may...at least we work at the same company, so we can at least ride the train together and occasionally have lunch dates. but to all my friends -- let me know what you think when you get to try out wii fit!

8 comments:

dana said...

That is so very cool. I like hearing what people REALLY do at their jobs. You guys should chat with Karla's husband, Aaron. He does PR for Disney. You know, you both work in PR so you're totally compatible. Jk. I hate that.
Um, I wish we had a wii. Some day wii will :). But I love the idea of wii fit. Sounds like he and his dept did a great job getting some recognition for the product. Cool.

Megan said...

I was wondering what that thing did... thanks for the shout out!

Angela and Mike said...

Go B! That's awesome. Sounds like they got the word out pretty well. I love the idea os wii fit. Have you guys been able to test the product? HOw fun. Good job B. PR is totally not advertising. Although when you get hired on at a place that doesn't know a lot about pr, you end up turning into an advertising/marketing/graphic design person like me. haha.

Mauren said...

Great job, Brandon! Woo hoo! My family just got it yesterday but I haven't played it yet...hello, Idol had already started by the time I got home. Priorities. Anyway, I'll check it out and let you know how it goes. I DID however pick up a Wii Fit demo CD at Blockbuster last week, which is part of the draw for my mom. Congrats, again!

Emily said...

I have read about it and I would my own wii if I had the money!

virginia said...

Way to go, Brandon! When can I come over for a demo??

Ashley said...

Jon said I could get one if I wanted it. Do you think it's a good purchase? YEAH for your husband!!!

Elder Bryan Carpenter said...

Good work, Brandon (and you were very nice to give a shout out to his work, Lyndsey). It's fun to get some big successes and have a product that is widely known because of your work. And yes, I've heard of the wii fit already. I played wii tennis at my brother's house a couple of weeks ago, but I still prefer real tennis for both the challenge and the exercise. The one great advantage of wii tennis is that you don't have to chase the ball after a point!