Monday, May 12, 2008

to the mommas...

slightly missed the mother's day-posting bandwagon (mostly because i was actually celebrating IN PERSON with my mom) but figured it's never too late to give a shout out to the two greatest ladies in our fam.



as previously noted, my mom is my best friend and has been my whole life. my dad loves to tell the story about how when i was barely over a year old, my mom would leave me with him while she ran errands and i would just cry and cry and then as i calmed down i'd just sit and whimper "mommy....mommy..." between every sob. she's always cheered me on, cheered me up and talked me into buying cute clothes at nordstrom because they are "high quality and long lasting." really, what more does a girl need? i've made it through four years of college and two years of "real life" thanks to daily phone conversations with her. she's a great example to me in everything (even if she did ruin me for life by always doing my laundry and cooking for me, so i was a serious late bloomer in both of those areas) and i want to be just like her. love you momma!




and for the past year and a half, i've been lucky enough to have one of the best MILs around as well. brandon's mom has been so welcoming and nice to me -- she is a phenomenal cook and either buys or makes cookies for me every time i come to utah! janie watches CMT music videos with me, takes me to fun girlie places like gardner village and sends us cute cards in the mail. and she takes me to cafe rio any time i want! janie is the best.

on a tangent...i'm not going to lie, i've been a bit down toward the whole institution of motherhood lately. i love our new ward but seriously EVERYONE (or so it seems) has kids. i'm all about children and i'm super excited to be a mom myself one day, but at the same time brandon and i have our own little plan for our family and it doesn't involve babies just yet. so that makes me feel left out from all these cute little moms i'm meeting, who have play dates and park outings and a secret mom's club for all i know -- all things i would never be able to participate in or even relate to in my current corporate life. boo. i've been feeling sorry for myself lately, like the lame girl that i am, but just a few days ago i realized how lucky i am to be in this situation and to be able to learn from the great examples of all these amazing women. so here's to motherhood -- to the fifteen friends who have given birth in the past year, to the ten more friends due before 2009, to the awesome moms i get to meet in my new neighborhood and through church -- i admire you. i watch your every move (not in a crazy stalker way, though ;) and i want to be as strong and graceful and multitalented and loving as you.

4 comments:

Brandon and Erica said...

::tear:: ::sniffle::
That was beautiful.

And, your mom ROCKS! I wish she were my BFF too :-)

Jennifer said...

Oh Lyndsey. Remember time and season for everything. You know I love being a mom, but you've gotta love each season. There's no goin' back. The moms do the play date thing and secret mom club thing because it's part of that season - a season where we don't usually get to spend time with our husband without putting the kids to bed first or hiring a sitter. When it's your time to become a mother, you'll be awesome. I know it. In the meantime, don't let anybody else rush this season of learning, succeeding, honeymooning, playing, traveling, etc. Some days I sit and envy you; wishing I had a few of those days back.

Love you-
Jennifer

Jill said...

Going on five years of marriage with no kids (yet) I can totally relate to your frustration. Two-ish years ago our last friends without kids got pregnant and Kenny and I immediately began campaining for new (childless) friends - you know, the kind that can still be spontaneous once in a while... I won't preach to you the virtues of motherhood (I'm in no position to do so)but I have to praise you for your positive approach and outlook. I wasn't so nice. Enjoy the freedom, there will be friends, and do what's right for you.

Emily said...

What a great tribute to your moms! Right now I am feeling sorry for myself, I just had a big letdown and now I am down to zero prospects of men to be interested in, which leads to such gloomy thoughts that it is another 10 years away or never going to happen. SO on the brightside at least you have a husband! I am out of both clubs!