Wednesday, December 1, 2010

a change of heart

so i've always hated snow. or, rather, i hate being cold, and i usually hate winter. but today as i was driving to target i decided maybe i DON'T hate it. it's snowed a few times in the past week so everything is all sparkly and white still [get back to me in february when everything is gray, frozen and dead] and it really is so pretty. the mountains are gorgeous, the air is clear and i don't even mind the cold temperatures -- impressive, right? as a native southern californian i think this is a big deal.

granted, i'm pretty sure my newfound snow appreciation has something to do with a.) not having to get up before the sun and scrape my car to drive to work each morning, b.) spending more time in my warm apartment everyday with jack and c.) some cute new jackets and hats that i can wear during the winter, but i'll take it as a win.

sure, i'm still counting down the days till we head to california for the holidays, and i still miss living in LA with my whole heart. but i'm pretty sure i can differentiate my california love -- on one hand, you have awesome people and fun things to do, but on the other you have the traffic, expensive housing, screwed up politics and everything else that's annoying about my home state. maybe i am finally growing up and realizing that california ISN'T the absolute best and only ideal place to live on the planet. not that i want to stay in utah or anything [i definitely do not] but maybe i could handle another state, even one where it snows.

b's post-graduation job hunt includes companies in denver, phoenix, seattle, portland and of course california, and i'll admit i'd be okay with any of those. becoming a mom has done all sorts of things for me -- i catch barf in my bare hands, survive on minimal sleep and can appreciate new parts of the country. look at me, so mature.

10 comments:

Justin + kelly said...

OH, I am keeping my fingers crossed for Portland!!!

Lori and Matt said...

Look at you! That sounds like GROWTH to me! :)

korie said...

Love this post. I feel you! I was in CO for over two years. It really is a love hate relationship. Love it when it's pretty. Hate it when there is no point to wash your car, cause it's gonna get covered in mud...

Oh and the barf thing...been there. I think it's better than getting up before the sun any day.

Paige Taylor Evans said...

I vote #1 Seattle and then #2 Denver - cuz that's prolly where we'll end up some day :) Hope the job hunt is going well! And not to be a meanie, but I had the AC on in the car yesterday...but you'll be here soon to enjoy it too!!

Jenny said...

I vote Denver. :) We miss you here!

kate said...

Go to Portland... Hopefully I will be back soon! Seriously, my absolute FAVORITE!

Danny and Kristen Woodbury said...

I laughed so hard when I read the "catch barf in my bare hands" comment... it's so true! Who else would lunge toward barf instead of away from it!

Angela and Mike said...

haha, I loved this post. Way to go! I'm so proud of you...appreciating places OTHER than California. You californians always make me laugh a little :) I'm glad you DID point on the CA weaknesses too.

I'm totally starting to mature too. I used to think VA was just perfect. Now I realize it's beautiful, but it comes with the humidity and bugs too. :)

Jean said...

Ooooh, I'm so excited to find out where you guys are headed after graduation!!

The Mid Life Guru said...

Cali will always be a part of you, no matter where you go. Just pick a nice place to land where your mom and dad can follow!!!