Monday, December 8, 2008

ornaments

sometimes i just sit and look at my tree...i love christmas time and i've always had a thing for watching my christmas tree and thinking about all the great things in this season of the year.

our first married christmas, my MIL asked me what "color" our christmas tree was. (she's way into home decorating etc. and each of her TWO christmas trees are color coordinated down to ribbons and ornaments. beautiful...but not my thing.) uh...color? my tree is decorated with a million special, different, random ornaments -- but each one brings back great memories. i now present to you the best of the best...

here's one we got on our honeymoon in hawaii:



and some new additions from our recent europe trip. this one is from germany:



and guess where this one is from... (how CUTE is it? husband picked this one out all on his own and i love it.)



this is another of my faves. we got engaged at the top of the empire state building in 2006 (a location that had long been one of my favorite places, thanks to years of watching sleepless in seattle) so i love it even more now. my mom gave us this one to commemorate:



here's one of the salt lake temple where we were married:



my cute cousin made this for us our first christmas. i hadn't seen her in years but she was thoughtful enough to mail this homemade baby all the way from florida:



and this is one of my very first ornaments -- my mom saved it and put it on our family tree for a long time. it says 1989 on the back...as you can see, 80's stickers don't retain their adhesiveness all that well:




yay yay more christmas fun to come :)

8 comments:

dana said...

Fun assortment of ornaments. I like an eclectic tree like that. It's great to have fun stories behind to share!

Brandon and Erica said...

Awesome. I love that you actually have "special" ornaments.

I will allow you a moment to toot your own horn, because the only "special" ornament we have on our tree this year is a cute wooden star that says, "Our First Christmas". Delivered and hand-crafted by yours truly (ahem, that would be you).

THANKS!

Kathryn said...

Yay for Christmas trees. I love that you have collected ornaments from special occasions in your life. Some of my "special" ornaments are from the White House historical society- one for each of the years Spencer and I lived in Washington, DC together.

Chad and Jessica said...

yay for random trees! Our is exactly the same and I LOVE to just sit and look at all the ornaments that we have collected over the years :) I may need to copy your post idea ;)

Jean said...

Your ornaments rock!! I love to sit and stare at our Christmas tree too. Probably because I love sparkly things, and there's lots of sparkly garland on it. :-) We have a hodge-podge tree too - I love it like that, with all the memories!

Angela and Mike said...

yeah, I love ornaments too. When I go home...I have a memory with EVERY ornament on the tree. I can't wait until my tree is like that. I only have a few that are meaningful since I'm newly married :)

I love the 80s ornament that is falling apart!

Sarah said...

my mom and i are like your MIL. our wrapping paper has to match the tree, too. at least i let my husband put up his chewbacca (yes) ornament. at the back of the tree.

love your tree and wish i could see it in person!

JoLee said...

I love how meaningful all of your ornaments are. Too cute! That motivates me to be better about getting ornaments from wherever we go!